Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences FAQs and Network HELP! Documents

The next section (below) is a list of Frequently Asked Questions. Click on the question and you will be taken to the section of the page that contains the answer. The last full revision of this page was in August, 2011. Revision dates are given in the answered questions; most of the truly obsolete items have been removed, and others with marginal utility have been retained (but please take note of the revision dates and act accordingly). Many of the answers link to other documents with more details. An underlined link in the answer section indicates a more detailed document is available. Most of the detailed documents are web pages; a few are available as Adobe Acrobat PDFs and require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader available by download from Adobe Corporation.

The last section, not indexed in the FAQ list, it called "Other Helpful Items" and includes Internet-related documents which are largely old, but might be of interest to some folks. This section is last for a reason.

The Standard Disclaimer: The information provided here is to assist network users in acomplishing necessary tasks but without any guarantee of accuracy. Basically, you are responsible for anything you do to your computer, whether or not you read it here or somewhere else.

If you have questions that you need answered, please direct them to me via the Email address below and I will answer them if I can. A question which is asked and answered a few times will probably lead something appearing on this page about it. Before sending an Email, please see if your question is answered here.

Please send questions and comments about this site or this page to (Revision date of this index page: 15-Aug-2012)

The FAQ List for EPS Computer Users

Click on any question below to jump to the "answer" section for that question.

I have a Windows computer that I want to connect to the network in Northrop Hall. How do I do that?

If you have a Windows computer (any version) and you want to connect it to the campus network in your office in Northrop Hall (or from other locations on UNM's campus network), this document explains how that is done. (minor revision January, 2004)

I have a Macintosh OS X computer that I want to connect to the Network in Northrop Hall. How do I do that?

We have found that the most reliable way of connecting to network shares on the EPSCI network with an OS X Macintosh system (virtually any version) is to use the CIFS file system. This is built in to our EPSCI network and is included with all Macs as well:

  1. From finder, select "Connect to Server"
  2. Enter the appropriate server address format is:
    Examples are: eps2/common; eps3/users/your-username; eps3/epswww-mirror$
  3. Login using username: epsci\your-username (substituting appropriately; note the "Microsof-ish" backward slash after epsci), and the password you use when connecting on the epsci network.

See appropriate documentation (included with Windows 7 – Active Directory materials) for list of all network shares available. Please note that shares containing Windows-specific program install points may not be appropriate for your Mac unless you are running a virtual copy of Windows 7 or XP.

(Updated August, 2011)

I want an E&PS Network Account. How do I get one?

The Department provides local area network based computing services to all faculty, staff and graduate students upon request. Our account "domain" is named "EPSCI". Access is also be extended to undergraduates who are involved in classes or faculty-sponsored research in which access to EPSCI required. All users of the network must have a network account in addition to a UNM NetID account.

To obtain an E&PS network account:

  1. Have a UNM NetID. If you are a student or employee of UNM, you already have one of these. If you are a visitor, affiliated researcher, you can connect with the department Chair to have one created for you while you are here.
  2. Obtain an account EPS Network Account Request form either in the Main Office in Northrop Hall or online (New_Account_Req.pdf). Complete the form (including all required items) and return it to Jim Connolly's mailbox in the main office. Undergraduate students and graduate students from other departments must obtain the signature of an E&PS faculty member in the appropriate spot on the form.
  3. Your account will usually be created in 24 to 48 hours, and confirmed an Email sent to your UNM NetID Email address. It will include your User Account name, first-time password and expiration date of the account. Undergraduate and non-department accounts have annual expiration dates in June and may be renewed by request to the Network Administrator.

All offices, laboratories and classrooms are wired for access to the Department network and to UNM IT services via Ethernet, however not all network ports are active. If you plug in your computer and it doesn't work (i.e., no lights, no Internet) contact Jim Connolly in person or via Email ( and include Your Name, Your position (i.e., Grad Student, Faculty, Staff, etc.), your office room number, and all of the numbers from the computer port box in your office. Port Activation Requests may take up to 5 days from when activation is requested.

How do I use UNM's Wireless Network

Most of the UNM campus now has free wireless access available. There are two distinct named networks that are part of the UNM system and which one is used depends on what services an individual user requires.

  • "Lobo-WiFi" provides free open access to anyone with a wireless device. A UNM NetID is not required to use this network. It allows users to browse the worldwide web and use most web-based services. A few network services (including some that are useful for accessing services on the EPS Local area network) are not available on Lobo-WiFi. A complete list of service ports open to Lobo-WiFi may be found at by searching for answer ID 4794.

  • "Lobo-Sec" provides a more secure level of wireless access to UNM services and requires a UNM NetID. The main services not available on Lobo-WiF that are of current interest to EPS LAN users include the transmission of FTP (Port 20 and 21) requests and responses (required to access files on our servers) and Windows Remote desktop access to designated systems. At some point in the future we might open ports to allow secure logins to the EPS network and printing services. Step-by-step procedures for accessing Lobo-Sec may be found at by searching for answer ID 4743. There are basically three steps to making this connection:
    • First, connect to (you will need to enter your NetID and password) then download and note the Lobo-Sec Pass Phrase (or "Key").
    • Second, find the Lobo-Sec network by browsing for it with your wireless network software, and connect to it using the Pass Phrase. If you make this a default connection, it will connect automatically whenever you are in range. The network is the same wherever you are on campus.
    • Third (this important step is omitted from the FastInfo article), open your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, or whatever you usually use) and log in at the screen that pops up with your NetID and password. You must do this to establish your credentials before you can do anything else (like connect with an FTP client).

    (Updated Aug-2012)

I can't make a direct connection to the EPS Network from home. Do I have any Alternatives?

There are no more dialup lines and outside access to EPS network resources are generally blocked by UNM's firewalls. If you are connected to the Internet by some means other than UNM's dialup lines, the methods for accessing your files on the network described in the previous document will not work. This document describes how you can use an FTP program (a free one like FileZilla) to transfer documents to or from the EPS network. This includes the USER or COMMON drives on other systems you have access to. (updated August 2012)

I have files that I want to make available to users outside the department. Can I do that?

Yes. We have two folders on our main public FTP server which may be used to exchange files with users outside the department (i.e., who do not have network user accounts). These are named "outgoing" (for department personnel who want to make files available to outside associates) and "incoming" (for outside associates to upload files to department personnel). This part of the document about using FTP to access files explains how to do that. (updated June, 2008)

I want to make a personal web page on UNM's system. How do I do that?

UNM provides free disk space on their servers for anyone with a UNM Net ID. Most of that space may be used create a personal web page. If you want to create your own web site, UNM has a page of instructions, hints and help to get you started at:

(Revised Aug-2012).

I want to schedule a Department-owned Notebook Computer and Computer Projector to make a presentation. How do I do that?

We use Yahoo Calendars to schedule our two notebook computers and one portable computer projector. The systems we have available are:

  • Dell C600 Notebook (800 MHz Pentium III, XGA Video with one Internal drive bay and interchangeable CD and Zip-250 drives.
  • Dell D610 Notebook (1.2 GHz Pentium M, XGA Video with one Internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive.
  • Mitsubishi XL1U Projector (XGA, 1000 ANSI Lumens w. separate bag w. long extension cord and monitor extension cord)

All use of these systems must be scheduled. The illustrated document linked above explains how to do that. (Rev. 24-Aug-2004)

I have some 35mm slides (or negatives) that I need to scan to make digital images. Can I do that?

We have Canon 9000F flatbed scanner that has illumination in the top of the unit that allows scanning of 35mm slides, negatives, larger negatives and transparencies, and even petrographic thin sections at up to 9600 dots per inch resolution. The scanner is connected to the system named EPS054 on the north side of the room, 2nd desk in from the back row. As a "Twain" compliant scanner, you make sure the scanner is turned on, start Adobe Photoshop, and scan directly into the photoshop program. The solid "mask" is used for scanning paper photos, diagrams and documents. There are a number of other masks that are used for different transparent media that reside on the shelf next to the system, along with a booklet with some information about the scanner (Rev. August 2012).

I need to scan some photographs and diagrams to put them in a document. Can I do that?

Yes. Two of the computers in our lab (EPS033, Windows XP nearest the windows and EPS054 Windows 7 on the north side near the bookshelves) have flatbed scanners attached. EPS033 has a Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 6150 flatbed scanner capable of scanning up to 1200 dots per inch (dpi); this scanner includes an automatic document feeder that lets you scan multiple pages. EPS054 is an Canon scanner that can be used for scanning paper or transparencies, and is described in the section above. Both scanners use"Twain" software so that you can directly scan into Adobe Photoshop or a number of other programs (including Adobe Acrobat) that support this standard. (Rev. Aug 2012)

Does the Department have a digital camera that I can use to take pictures?

We actually have two digital cameras that can be signed out and used by students, faculty and staff. One camera is an older Kodak DC210 Zoom that can create images at a maximum of 1 megapixel (good for web pages), and the other is an Olympus D-510 Zoom that can create images at a maximum of 2.3 megapixels. The document linked above is specific to the Olympus D-510 and describes basic use and check-out procedures, plus how to download your photos to the network; it will be updated to also include information about the other camera. Both cameras are checked out through the network administrator (Jim Connolly, The Olympus camera includes a charger and 4 Li-ion rechargeable batteries; please make sure the camera is returned with the batteries fully charged. (Rev. 11-Apr-2007)

Can I backup my data onto a writable CD? Do we have blank CDs available for doing this?

All of the computers in the computer lab have CD/DVD RW drives available, and include Roxio CD/DVD burner software to create data DVDs (holding up to 4.3GB) or CDs (holding up to 650MB). Blank disks may be obtained from Jim Connolly for a nominal cost, or may be purchased at computer and office supply stores (i.e., Office Depot, Office Max, Best Buy, etc.) or the UNM bookstore (usually for more $$ than at other locations).

I want to use the Department's shared printers in the Computer lab. How do I do this? Is there any charge for printing on these printers? If so, how do I pay for printing?

We have high-speed HP Laserjet 4200 B&W and Color Laserjet 4700 printers located in the computer lab (Northrop 209). Both printers will print approximately 30 pages/minute and are capable of printing duplex (both sides of the page). We charge 10 cents per side for the B&W printer and 25 cents per side for the color printer. Billing is done twice a year (usually in September and February) covering the previous semester, and "special" bills for people who are graduating or leaving the department will be generated withing a couple of days on request to the Network Administrator.

The department's multiple user printers are listed below. The last two listings are for alternative drivers for the first two printers:

  • \\eps3\eps209bw-pcl -- B&W Laserjet 4200dtn using HP PCL6 driver (Recommended)
  • \\eps3\eps209cl-pcl -- Color Laserjet 4700dn using HP PCL6 driver (Recommended)
  • \\eps3\eps209bw-ps -- B&W Laserjet 4200dtn using postscript driver (use only if your application does not like the HP-PCL driver; this is very rare)
  • \\eps3\eps209cl-ps -- Color Laserjet 4700dn using postscript driver (use only if your application does not like the HP-PCL driver; this is very rare)

All of the Windows 7 workstations in room 209 now use locally mapped printer ports to connect to the printers, so users no longer have to establish individual connections to the printers in the computer lab. All users should check an make sure that their "default" printer is the Black & White laser (EPS209BW) to avoid printing unnecessary (and more expensive) color prints.

Pages are counted based on your network login (you must have a nework account) and billed approximately twice a year in September and February. We use standard Xerox 20 lb. bond paper for printing, and paper may be obtained from the main office (on the shelves in the room with the copying machines in it). On both printers the tray containing regular paper (8 1/2 x 11) is designated Tray 2. Tray 1 is the manual feed tray which is folded out on both systems. The default setting for pulling paper is Tray 1 (the fold-down single sheet or special paper tray that is usually empty) then (if tray is empty) tray 2 (with normal letter size paper). Tray 3 on the B&W printer is used for legal size (8 1/2 x 14) paper. This may be changed in your printer drive to specify where your paper comes from if you are using special paper. If you are using glossy photo paper or transparencies you will typically specify Manual feed from Tray 1 so that it will not print until you place your special paper in that tray. Transparencies should always be fed individually to avoid sticking and misfeeding.

Click on the hyperlinks to read or download Adobe Acrobat manuals for the Laserjet 4200 B&W printer (5MB PDF) or the Laserjet 4700 Color printer (7MB PDF). Please note: Clicking on these documents will open them in a new, blank Window. Close that window to return to this page.

(Revised Aug 2012)

I want to print a large poster for a meeting. Can I do this in the department?

Our vintage Hewlett-Packard DesignJet 650 plotter has finally been retired and replaced by a very nice 42" Hewlett-Packard DesignJet Z2100 that can be used to print poster presentations on 36" or 42" wide paper up to 8 feet long. Users no longer need to sign up to get permission to plot, but it is very important to follow correct procedures that are available online. Click on this Intranet link and a new window will open asking for your department username and password. Look for the topic labeled "HP DesignJet Z-2100 Plotter Instructions" and read the step-by-step instructions. A copy is also kept near the plotter. (Revised 2-Apr-2008)

What software is available on the workstations in the EPS computer lab?

Our computer lab is located in Room 209 in Northrop Hall. The summary page of everything we have available on our network contains the most up-to-date listing of the software available on the lab workstations. Please look at that document for more information.

Other Helpful Items

  • Doing Research On the Internet. Connolly's Research Page are the shortcuts which I use to quickly access Internet search engines, metasearch tools, shareware program resources, subject index resources for reaearch, UNM Library resources and information about the Internet. Needs revision because some of the the smaller search engines and FTP resources have now been gobbled up by the large ones. Let's hear it for free enterprise! The page is small, ugly and fast loading with no advertising. Pages like this have been beaten into submission by the internet search engines (the Googles, Bings and Asks of the world) and will likely never be revised. Call it a time capsule.